Installation of reese trailer hitch are relatively easy and the benefits are that it in fact raises the value of your car if you intend on selling it in future. While no special tools are needed to reese hitch installation, the procedure may vary slightly depending on the type of the vehicle. Here’s a basic rundown on how to approach best installations and be sure to consult your specific product instructions.
Make sure that the hitch you bought fits properly to your vehicle. Attaching to the rail frame should be secure. If it is not, you will need to drill holes in the frame if they have not already been drilled into the frame.
Reese Hitch DIY Intallation
Reese hitches are engineered to make installation as easy and as minimally invasive as possible. Most Reese trailer hitches can be installed with common hand tools, right in your own garage.
- Remove center section from box and pull side plate assemblies from shipping location. Insert side plate assemblies into hitch center section. Refer to specific instructions for proper position. Insert the coiled end of pull wire through hole on rear side of center section and through end of tube. Attach 1/4” bolt plate and 1/2 x 1-1/4 long carriage bolt as shown above. Pull fasteners through and loosely install 1/2 hex lock nut. Repeat steps for each fastener. The spare tire may need to be lowered to install the hitch. It will be replaced later. Refer to the application chart to determine the correct installation for your vehicle.
- Torque all 3/8″ nuts to 35 lb.ft.
- Torque all 12mm nuts & bolts to 65 lb.ft.
- Torque all 1/2” hardware to 75 lb.ft
- Torque (4) center section locknuts to 110 lb. ft.
- Torque all 10mm CL10.9 hardware to 53 lb.ft.
- Torque all 5/8” hardware to 100 lb.ft.
- Torque all 14mm CL10.9 hardware to 115 lb.ft.
- Retighten the spare tire if it was loosened.
Tools used in reese hitch installation
- Shop light
- Socket set
- Ratchet extension
- Swivel socket
- Work gloves
- Safety glasses
- Torque wrench
- Jack and stands
- Pry bar
- Tape measure
- Torx bits
- Trim tool
- Screw driver
- Paint pen
- Die grinder
- Carbide drill bits
- Cutting lubricant
- Box wrench set
- Power drill
- Rotary cutting tool
- Penetrating lubricant
- Rat tail wire brush
- Masking tape
- Utility knife
- Metal sheers
The receiving end of the hitch should be flush with the bumper and the rest of the hitch should sit flat on the truck. If you ensure that these steps are follwed you will have no problem with your reese trailer hitch installation.
You should be sure to mark every hole with a permanent marker or pen before you start drilling as the accuracy of drilling a hole in the correct place before you attach the reese trailer hitch will be ensured.
You should make sure that you are drilling the holes right and straight through in order to ensure the bolts sitting straight and leaves no room for the nuts to work off the bolts. You must always drill the holes according to the size of the bolt or a little bigger, but not much so that it will fit into the accommodating components.
There are various trailer hitches on the market which you are easily able to choose from. Considering a pintle hitch if you’re not intending to haul around heavy items might just be the thing for you. But in the end you will have to arrange a meeting with a professional hitch expert to advise you on which hitch will suit your needs.
Many used or other pre owned variations of reese hitch installation are available on the market. Just keep in mind that pre owned is not always the most durable so make sure you check the quality of the hitches by doing the required quality checks.
It is imperative that you do some proper shopping around before making your decision as having the wrong hitch installed can be quite a hassle especially when you have to pay to have the hitch uninstalled. Best option is to check online which hitch will suit your requirements or go to a hitch dealership that will be able to assist you in making the best choice.
READ and Follow all Instructions and safety messages in the Reese hitch installation manual below before installing the product.
Always take care that the various wiring is done properly whilst reese hitch intallation to your trailer. You will be able to obtain various chords and other wires as well to ensure that your cargo is properly fastened on your trailer. You should know that objects when transported should be fastened very securely as it is illegal to do otherwise. You will also prevent the chances of accidents happening whilst on the road considerably.
When it comes to safety on the road never be afraid to ask what will suit your car. In the end your life and those of others are in your hands. So choosing the right trailer hitches and installing reese trailer hitch properly will only lead to peace of mind.