In this section we’re going to look the best of trailer hitch cargo carriers, so feel free to scroll down to the type of cargo carrier is most applicable to your needs. Having said that, I would urge you to read through each review because if you’re anything like me, you’ll most likely come across a few extra pros and cons on some of the models that you didn’t realize were there.
This buying guide is intended to simplify matters for you rather than make them more complicated, but it is best to make the most educated decision possible so let’s take a look at the top cargo carriers from each category.
Best Cargo Carrier Overall
We’ve spent hundreds of hours testing and researching just to find out the answer for you. Check out our comparison chart and buying guide below to find out the right trailer cargo carriers for your needs.
Reese Explore ProSeries 63153 Rambler
With strength in numbers, you can be assured that this hitch-mounted cargo carrier truly is the best on the market due to the hundreds of “five star” reviews attesting to its durable, high-quality construction.
- Black powder coat finish resists corrosion | Smart, rugged mesh floors make clean-up quick and easy
- Product capacity – 60” L x 24” W x 5.5” H | Weight – 60 lbs. | Compatible receiver size – 2” Sq. | Weight capacity – 500 lbs.
- Features rise shank design that elevates cargo for improved ground clearance
- Additional bikes clips and fully functional light systems available for separate purchase
- 2 piece construction with durable powder coat finish that resists the elements, scratches, and rust.
However, due to its size and quality of material used, this Reese ProSeries 63153 can be somewhat heavy to carry and, as a result, may take more than one person to assemble.
ROLA 59502 Vortex Steel Cargo Carrier
Made of high-quality, waterproof material, this hitch tray cargo bag is both the sturdiest and best-selling item of its kind. With hundreds of positive reviews, you can safely say that this product is made to last!
- Assembled Dimensions: 56 x 23 x 5 Inches. Rainproof-No
- HIGH-CAPACITY SYSTEM: Free up space in your vehicle with the robust capacity of this hitch cargo carrier ideal for coolers, camping gear, bags, and other equipment.
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong, high-quality, heavy-duty steel construction with a durable black powder coating helps protect against the elements and resists rust and scratches.
- EASY INSTALLATION: 2-piece assembly with attachment points for a vehicle license plate easily attaches to 2″ sq. receivers on cars, trucks, SUVs, vans and other large vehicles.
However, due to the large size and height of this unit, it is possible that, when filled to capacity, this cargo carrier may cover rear license plates. When not fully-loaded, rear license plates are not obstructed.
Cargo Carrier with Bike Rack by Tow Tuff
This popular cargo carrier with bike rack provides a great way to transport your bikes and other cargo behind your vehicle. The carrier is very simple and easy to use as it hooks right into your trailer hitch. It has received multiple positive ratings so you know the product is well-built and made of high-quality materials.
he following are some of the features:
- Wheel cradles can easily be added or removed to carry up to 4 bikes;
- Durable straps are included to secure bikes;
- Bike rack cradles are able to fold down for storage;
- Loads can be safely secured with tie down holes on platform;
- Cargo carrier holds up to 500 pounds.
One downside to the product is that your vehicle must have a trailer hitch.
Rola 59119 Rainproof
This weather-resistant cargo carrier is an excellent addition to any vehicle. Whether it’s for a family vacation, hauling tools back and forth to work, or just running errands, this item makes daily life so much easier. Everything stays in place perfectly due to the expertly designed six strap system and weather-resistant construction. Everything stays protected inside this cargo carrier. Not only is it easy to use, it is also easy to store, weighing in at less than nine pounds.
- Limited Five Year Warranty;
- Weather-resistant construction;
- Folds up for easy storage;
- Fits cargo baskets up to 60 x 24″.
The only downside to this product is that is has no handles; however, the bag is massive and does not need to be carried around.
Rightline Gear 100B90
The Rightline Gear 100B90 Cargo Saddlebag is an amazing 13-cubic feet rear vehicle storage container. It is highly rated, attractive looking, and can withstand even the largest rain storms during your travels thanks to its waterproof abilities. You can guarantee that this is the cargo saddlebag that you will need for your trip.
- UV Resistant;
- 100% Waterproof with urethane coated zipper;
- Aerodynamic design saves dollars on gas;
- Works with or without a roof rack;
- Bottom pole frame gives the bag structure.
The only downside to this product is that it has no handles; however, the bag is massive and does not need to be carried around.
The only bad thing about this cargo saddlebag is that it does not come with a lock to protect your valuables, but this can be easily remedied with a trip to the store.
Things to consider before buying a trailer cargo carrier
We have painstakingly covered all the Trailer Cargo Carrier that you might use with your personal vehicle, and we have selected each trailer to meet the needs of the modern family. You may need a trailer for your business, and we have the products that will help you remain productive. We have suggestions below that will allow you to select the perfect cargo carriers for your family or company.
The Criteria You Must Use
Your Cargo Carrier must be the right length so that you can carry what you purchased the trailer for. A lawn care company can use a short trailer because lawn mowers are not that long. You can roll a car onto a long trailer, and you use a heavy trailer to haul raw materials.
Your carrier can be wider than your vehicle if the items are you hauling happen to be especially wide. Your trailer cannot be much wider than your vehicle, but there are trailers that will take up a whole lane as you drive. The widest trailers are easier to control because they are often not as long.
Your carrier can come in a few different styles. There are Cargo Carriers that have wire siding that allow you to customize the trailer, and there are trailers that are simply a flat bed that you can strap items to. Your trailer may come with a small tailgate that you can close or use as a ramp, but most trailers have a flat surface that you can place items on yourself.
You must purchase a Trailer Cargo Carrier in the right size and style, but you need to find the trailer that is the right price. Balancing price with features will help you find the right sort of trailer, and you must search with price in mind to avoid surprises.
You will whittle your list down to a few trailers that you believe are best, and you must read reviews for these trailers. A trailer that only has one review may not have a sample large enough for purchase. A trailer that has several reviews will give you a better idea of how pleased people are with it.
You can see why people liked their trailers, and you will see why people hated them. You need to read the reviews to see what it is like to own one of these trailers. The customers who are truly displeased will give you insight into owning the trailer. Checking the reviews will lead you to the trailer that is right for your family or business.
Buying a cargo management to haul your family jet skis or dirt bikes is necessary for the safety of your equipment, and you need to purchase a trailer that works best for these vehicles. You may purchase a trailer that can haul large equipment or materials for your job, and you can buy a trailer to hold a car if need be.
Your Trailer Cargo Carrier purchase should be informed with these criteria and the reviews for each unit. Buyers who take the extra few moments to check these criteria and reviews will get the right trailer in the end. You will come to a full understanding of the Cargo Carrier you buy before you buy it.